Monday, June 25, 2012

Guatemala CCM WOW!



All I can say is this place is the bomb.  So I called you in LAX and
that was awesome.  I loved hearing your voices.  Its been awhile.
After I called you I called AJ and talked to him and his friends for a
minute or two till I ran out of quarters.  We went back to the gate
where we were going to board our flight and i already felt like i was
in a different country.  I talked to some of the locals headed to
Guatemala and I could communicate with them.  It was awesome.  We
boarded the plane and filled out some paper work and headed off.  This
is when it became so real for me.  We landed in Guatemala, grabbed our
bags, went through customs and I soon found myself walking out of the
airport into a crowd of Guatemalans poaching on and around a little
fence.  There were security guards everywhere.  A little old man asked
if wanted a 1$ shoe shine and I politely said no.  I heard some one
say in a soft voice, "ELDERS".  I looked to my right and there was
this little sister calling us over.  My first thoughts were, this must
be some sort of trap, I dont trust her, but then she started speaking
fluent English and we realized she was from the CCM.  She guided us to
our bus that we would be taking all the way to the CCM and I soon
handed my bags to a random Guatemalan who stuffed them in the back of
the bus.  I hurried and jumped on the bus just incase they tried to
take off with all of our bags.  At least I would go down with my bags
haha.  Turns out these people worked for the CCM and we all boarded
safely.  The bus drive over was so gnarly.  The streets here are super
busy and the way to merge is simply by nudging out inch by inch.  We
almost hit 4 motorcyclist and two pedestrians.  Pedestrians dont have
the right away here haha.  We passed a Dominos, a burger King and many
more American Restraunts but what we saw standing outside these places
was even more exciting.  On our way to the CCM, every 2 blocks is a
police officer holding an M16, yes Cade, just like call of duty.  I
even saw random people on motorcycles with shotguns placed on the back
of their seat.  I loved the drive over here, it instantly made me feel
that i needed to be here.  We pulled into the CCM and unloaded and
walked up to our room.  If you have seen pictures of this CCM, you
know it is one simple building with 2 wings and 3 stories.  It is
literally right next to the temple.  The temple is beautiful.  We get
to do sessions every Tuesday.  Back to the story though, I walked up
to my room, opened my door and our room was huge and way nicer than my
provo room.  All glazed wood furnishings with super nice bunk beds and
a sweet view.  Everything was going perfect.  Then they let us take a
two hour nap for our jet lag.  We woke up and went to a little
orientation thing (everything here is so laid back. It was all 15 or
so new north american missionaries and a couple of teachers from
Guatemala, Honduras, Peru).  We got a temporary
schedule and then ate lunch.  The food here is honestly probably the
best food i have eaten.  No joke.  It is the bomb.  They make a
special juice every day with the freshest fruit, whether it be
watermelon juice, pineapple starfruit juice, we even had rose bulb
juice or something like that.  It smelt like a beatiful rose and
tasted delicious, i cant even explain it.  We have the best eggs,
fried bananas, and bread for breakfast.  The bread here is always
fresh and so tasty.  Ill talk more about the food later.
My companion is from Provo.  He is a really cool guy but the best part
about him is trying very hard to learn Spanish so he is always trying
to speak it to me.  I help him out because he has good vocabulary he
just never conjugates his verbs.  Its hilarious.  He speaks way better
than my last companion though.  We taught a lesson and it went so
well.  Back in Provo i would take in a little notecard with some tips.
 Here I dont use anything because when he talks I can be thinking of
what to say.  You might think im joking but when i say i have learned
more here in 3 days than i have in 3 weeks back in Provo, i am being
serious.  My teacher is the best, he served in Peru and his English is
bomb.  He told us the first day he will teach us the best spanish as
long as we help him here and there with his english.  He is soooo
funny though.  The Latinos here are the best.  At first i thought they
would be judgemental of our Spanish but they are not.  We all play
soccer with them and they are good but i can keep up.  They love how i
juggle, because thats the only thing im good at.  I love it here.  I
got to go.  I have alot more to tell you.  Ask me questions. Love you
so much.      Con Amor,   Elder Gubernick

No comments:

Post a Comment